Tuesday, August 6, 2013

Tuesday, August 6, 2013 - , No comments

Brunderfold

Rating: 4.5 Stars
Version: Ebook
Author: Jason M. Burns


GoodRead's Summary:
Locker 13 has been sealed shut at Duck Ridge High School for over thirty years, but when freshman Aiden Holmes discovers the lock’s long lost combination and opens the door, he’ll unleash a nightmarish fairy tale brought to life named Brunderfold who looks to feed on the imagination of its victims.

“With one mere prose novel, Jason Burns has completely outclassed the entire catalog of work from R.L. Stein. Heck, Dean Koontz too.”

"I loved this book. It was light, funny and while short, left nothing to be desired at the end."

"Above all else, Brunderfold is a great heap of fun, a sort of Where The Wild Things Are for an older, more modern, and more Goosebumps-loving audience. Even as you’re willing Aiden not to open the locker you’re secretly hoping he does so you can see what’s inside. Irresistible."


Review:
 I had the opportunity to read Mr. Burns book, Brunderfold, well before its expected publishing date of September 9th, 2013. The cover is what initially drew my interest, but the summary sealed the deal.  I mean honestly, a monster that feeds off of imagination and uses books as a means of transportation. What isn’t there to like? ….. Well, there was one thing that bothered me, but I’ll get to that later on.
The story of Aiden is one that is not uncommon in today’s society. His parents are divorced and he lives with his mom. The divorced parents situation is what I’m referring to as common. However, as the story begins Aiden, his mom, and his pet dog Chester are on the way to Don Holme’s (Aiden’s father’s) home. Burns does not immediately tell you why Aiden has to move to his fathers, but he does tell you that Aiden got himself into some kind of trouble back at home. You find out the whole story towards the end of the book.
The relationship between Aiden and his father is very strained due to years of no contact. I won’t go into much detail because I wouldn't want to spoil the book for you, but their relationship does mend after a bit of adventure. What really threw me was the reasoning Aiden’s father had for letting his wife and son out of his life. It was noble in a sense, but how hard is it to pick up a phone or at least share some details with your wife? I’m going off on a tangent with the “what ifs”, so lets come back to Brunderfold.
As anyone who has had to transfer schools, you know or can at least imagine how difficult it is to adjust and make friends. Yet, Aiden does this fairly well. On his first day, he makes a new friend, finds a potential girlfriend, and stands up to the high school bully. Overall, not too bad for a first day.
There was one thing I really liked about Brunderfold and I would really like to explain what that is, but it’s hard to without including spoilers.  Despite this, I’ll try to explain what it was. Several chapters are written from the perspective of someone who has lived the nightmare of Brunderfold. This someone is also the one responsible for imprisoning Brunderfold and his or her history is closely intertwined with Aiden’s.
Now, the only thing I did not like was the excessive use of description through metaphors and similes. Yes, most of them worked, but a few were just too much.  On several occasions I just stopped and thought  “really.. was all of that needed?”  For example:

         Ronnie throws his hands up, surrendering to the nonsensical details of their unbelievable mission. The rubber-armed action causes the beam of battery-powered illumination to dance around the darkness like a low grade state effect at a rock concert.

I had a different quote I wanted to put up, but I really don’t want to search my Kindle for it, nor, do I want to stress one very small problem I had with the book.
The ending of the book I saw coming. I wont say what the ending was specifically, but I predict a volume two. I also have a few questions about the ending. Did Aiden’s parents get back together and does volume two try to attempt what volume one failed? Maybe this will be answered in a sequel. What were some of your thoughts, opinions, questions, etc…  about Brunderfold. If you haven’t read it, how does it sound?


Overall it was a very enjoyable read, highly unique, and I highly recommend it! 

I'm expermenting with fonts, so please tell me if you prefer one or the other. 

0 comments :

Post a Comment