Thursday, July 3, 2014

Steel Lily

Rating: 5 Stars
Author: Megan Curd
Version: eBook

Goodreads:
AVERY PIKE is a commodity. No, more than a commodity. Her existence is guarded at all costs.

She’s a water Elementalist, the strongest of her dwindling kind. She creates steam to provide energy to fuel Dome Four: the only thing standing between humanity and an earth ravaged by World War III. No steam, no Dome. No Dome, no life.

Or so she thinks.

That is, until a mysterious man offers her a way out of having to donate steam. A way to escape the corrupt government of Dome Four. While the offer seems too good to be true, Avery is intrigued. But when she arrives to her new home, she realizes the grass isn’t any less dead on this side of the fence. Instead, the lies are just hidden better.

…Which means digging deeper.


When Avery enlists the help of her friends to uncover the truth, she learns that while some secrets are better left concealed, humankind was never meant to live in a cage. And when you can control the most sought after resource, you can learn to control anything…including the fate of your world.

Review:
This book was honestly amazing. I went into it not expecting much and boy was I blown away. The story just had everything I wanted: a lot of action, a bit of mystery, a huge plot twist, and just enough romance so that it doesn't become overbearing. 

For starters, the plot of Steel Lily was just so unique - WWIII, radiation mutations, zombie like soldiers, and elementalists!! Wait, let me take a second to explain since The GoodReads summary doesn’t mention much about what I just wrote. The setting is post World War III, where radiation levels are so high that human kind is forced to live in Domes. Avery, the main character, is a rare kind of elementalist who resides in Dome 4.  Her parents were taken from here, she has very few friends, people seriously take advantage of her power for personal use, and the government cannot afford to lose her. 

In terms of elementalist, I kept relating their abilities to that of Avatar the Last Airbender, which is a show I use to love when I was younger. As the name suggests, elementalists are those who have the ability to manipulate the element(s) of earth, air, fire, and water. Those lucky enough to have that ability are coveted by the government, while ordinary humans, termed Traditionalists, are treated poorly. 

As for the war, I was never really clear on what the alliance and resistance wanted. I remember reading pieces about a universal government, but it’s definitely something that I wanted clarified. I also encountered a bit of confusion towards the end of the book, but I can’t explain without giving away some spoilers. However, at it’s vaguest, I don’t understand how an organization can treat it’s people terribly in the beginning, then be shown as the “good guys” in the end. 

On the other hand, I loved the characters! I thought the bond Avery, Alice, and Sari had, as well as their survivor personalities really made the story. Similarily, I enjoyed reading Jaxon’s sarcasm, which in my opinion was done better than Jace’s from The Mortal Instruments Series. Even more so, I really enjoyed reading the witty banter between Alice and Jaxon and found it funny how Avery struggled to stay on their level. 


In short, I LOVED this book and it’s definitely become one of my most favorite reads this year. Be aware that the story does contain a minimum amount of typos, but its nothing to distract the reader from the story. After all, I did give Steel Lily 5 Stars!!

0 comments :

Post a Comment