Saturday, June 28, 2014

Saturday, June 28, 2014 - No comments

Since You've Been Gone

Rating: DNF
Author: Morgan Matson
Version: Hardcover

Goodreads:
The Pre-Sloane Emily didn't go to parties, she barely talked to guys, she didn't do anything crazy. Enter Sloane, social tornado and the best kind of best friend—the one who yanks you out of your shell.But right before what should have been an epic summer, Sloane just... disappears. No note. No calls. No texts. No Sloane. There’s just a random to-do list. On it, thirteen Sloane-selected-definitely-bizarre-tasks that Emily would never try... unless they could lead back to her best friend. Apple Picking at Night? Ok, easy enough.Dance until Dawn? Sure. Why not? Kiss a Stranger? Wait... what?

Getting through Sloane’s list would mean a lot of firsts. But Emily has this whole unexpected summer ahead of her, and the help of Frank Porter (totally unexpected) to check things off. Who knows what she’ll find?

Review:
I tried to like this book, I really did, but I couldn't get past the first 100 pages. For starters, I hated how the main character, Emily, was so dependent on her best friend that she basically couldn't function. I understand this was the basis for the plot, however the dependence was to the extreme. Also, I hated how the name Sloane was repeated in almost every sentence. It just became obnoxious to the point that I decided to return the book: Sloane did this, Sloane did that, I miss Sloane, where is Sloane, they only know me as Sloane's Friend, I'm nothing without Sloane, Sloane, Sloane, Sloane. You know how if you repeat a word enough that it starts sounding weird? Well, imagine this for 449 pages.

In essence, I went in with high expectations, thinking Matson's book would be of similar caliber to Panic by Lauren Oliver. Unfortunately, I was sadly mistaken. Despite having a pretty high rating on Goodreads, this book wasn't for me. Try it out and let me know what you think?

0 comments :

Post a Comment