Tuesday, October 29, 2013

Tuesday, October 29, 2013 - , No comments

The Dream Thieves:

Rating: 4.5 Stars
Version: Harback and NetGalley eBook
Author: Maggie Stiefvater

GoodReads Summary:
Now that the ley lines around Cabeswater have been woken, nothing for Ronan, Gansey, Blue, and Adam will be the same.

Ronan, for one, is falling more and more deeply into his dreams, and his dreams are intruding more and more into waking life.

Meanwhile, some very sinister people are looking for some of the same pieces of the Cabeswater puzzle that Gansey is after...

Review:
After finishing The Raven Boys, I felt like it took forever to get my hands on a copy of The Dream Thieves. Yes, I had high expectations and Maggie Stiefvater did not disappoint and because of this, she is quickly becoming one of my favorite authors.

The story picks up two months after Adam wakes the Cabeswater ley line. As far as Gansey, he is still obsessed with finding Glendower, Blue is still the only non-psychic in her family, Noah is still dead, Adam is still slowly loosing himself, and Blue’s family is still a bit quirky.  However, one character changed dramatically, and that was Ronan. I won’t go in-depth because I would hate to spoil the story, but you slowly discover that he’s not the complete jerk you may of thought he was. In fact, much of the story centers on Ronan, a boy who from his dreams, can create reality.

Ronan is the only Greywaren but Kavinsky also possesses the same ability. In fact, it’s Kavinsky that helps hone Ronan’s gift. I’m not exactly sure where Kavinsky’s rage comes from or why he’s out to cause chaos, – much like the joker from Batman – but it would have been nice to know why. When these boys pull objects from their dreams it draws on the ley lines energy and causes a detectable spike. The spike is what leads men hired to hunt the Greywaren to Henrietta.

Spoiler Alert :
It’s hard to describe what I want to say without spoiling parts of the book, but here it is. Personally, I’m glad the romance between Adam and Blue ended, because Adam comes across as weak and annoying. Blue finally came to terms with her attraction towards Gansey and I think it’s time they take the risk. Also, I was a bit shocked that Maura fell for Mr. Grey. I saw it coming after their first encounter, but it was definitely not one of my pre-reading predictions.


I have mixed emotions about the ending for several reasons. First, Mr. Grey is terrified of his older brother and he passes that on to the reader, but when they meet the ending is simple and abrupt. I was expecting more. Secondly, even though I’m glad Kaminski is out of the story, I feel that something was missing. Lastly, I liked the cliffhangers, but dislike the fact that book three is nowhere near being released, but that ones on me.

0 comments :

Post a Comment